Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Again, who is this guy?

Hi fuckers. I know, Tuesday is NOT Monday but whatever, I'm moving and working some shit out so I apologize.

Let's start today with Jimmer Fredette, who's name screams "I was born in the back of an open doored barn". A while back after the NCAA tourney, this kid who plays for BYU and took all the attention off Charlie Davies active Mormon penis post suspension, was having SUCH a hard time with all the celebrity of being a sophomore on a Sweet 16 team (really?), that BYU requested he not attend class in person because people were going all 13 year old seeing Justin Bieber on him. I suppose there aren't a lot of cool folks in provo to go Bieber fan over, so, you have to take 'em when you get 'em.

Anyway, apparently Jimmer (I feel like his brothers names are Jedidiah, Judd, and Jermemiah) is going to be participating in a new reality show that revolves around the NBA draft.

Okay, part of me is glad that it isn't a dating show. Part of me is glad it's not dancing with the stars. But, but of me is sad that he is going to go with this.

When athletes go pro, they lose SO much of their private lives. Particularly ones like Jimmer who are already in the spot light early on. He thinks that this will be "amazing" because he gets to "share the excitement...with the fans...and basketball fans can follow this great opportunity I've been blessed to have".

Okay. Sure. I buy that. But they also get to see you cry. And fuck up. And do poorly. And get in trouble. You think reality TV producers are going to cutout the shady parts? The embarrassing parts? Better question - you think there will be NO embarrassing parts? I embarrass myself at least twice every day. EVERY, DAY. This guy is tall and lanky and Mormon. I'm sure he has his own issues to deal with.

I just feel like...I look at how many people hated JJ Redick just for being in the Duke spotlight. I feel like injecting yourself into the reality world so young and at the cusp of your pro career, has the potential to be deadly. Suddenly it's not your basketball skills people are talking about. It's other, personal things. And some people can handle that. I can handle that. It took me a while, but now I don't give a shit what people think. I'm also 25, not 20. Would I do this at 20? Would I want the world to see me and judge me at 20, particularly when I was about to deal with something like an NBA draft and subsequent first year as a professional player? No. I'd like to keep my head down and prove myself in basketball before I introduce people to my daily routine and my bad habits and my family. But that's just me. I think he's in for a rude awakening that the rest of America is not Provo.

No comments:

Post a Comment